The Broadway Arcade Building entrance, downtown Los Angeles, 1954. The Arcade is part of a huge complex that stretches from Broadway to Spring Street between 5th and 6th. It still stands, having recently been converted to loft apartments.
An old-timer strolls down North Spring Street with the hulk of the Phillips Block Building at his back, 1900. The Block, built in 1887, was the second 4-story building in Los Angeles at the time of its construction.
The “Enjoy Eastside Beer and Ale” billboard dates this as post-Prohibition 1930’s. A westward view of Wilshire as seen from Commonwealth. Simon’s Sandwiches is at lower left, the Town House Hotel is opposite, and a block down the street is Bullock’s.
4th and Vermont at night, looking westward, 1931. The Temple Sinai East synagogue (now a church) and apartment building still stand across the street from Shatto Lanes. The M & C Charcoal Broiler is, alas, lost to history.
This classic view of Wilshire Boulevard from 1936 includes the Brown Derby, the entrance to the Ambassador Hotel, the Gaylord Apartments, the Immanuel Presbyterian Church and, in the deep distance, Bullock’s Wilshire.